Friday, May 29, 2015

I'm Not an Angry Little Asian Boy

Week 10
Richard Nguyen
Section 001
May 29, 2015

            The cartoon strips on Angry Little Asian Girl depicts Asian mothers as angry and insensitive women. These cartoons are reflective on how Asian mothers are the stereotypical tiger moms that yell at their children because they are not smart or pretty enough. This may be true for some, but is not true for all. When I saw Professor Valverde talking about these comics I was a little surprised because I did not know that this "Angry Little Asian Girl" was a real comic strip. I first saw these things on girls bag in high school. I thought it stupid fashion trend that Asian girls would carry around these tote bags with a picture of this character depicting Asian girls as mean and aggressive. Many find that this comic is offensive because no one likes to be seen as angry. Although in society, Asian women are usually viewed as weak, small, and passive and are fine with that fact that this cartoon is portraying them as the opposite. Women like to be seen a equal to men and what better way to do that is by showing society that Asian girls are not small, weak, and docile. I honestly do not believe that the creator Lela Lee is out there to put oppress Asian girls, but to actually empower Asian women.

My brother's car 1998

Question: Do you think the Angry Little Asian Girl comics are offensive?


No comments:

Post a Comment