Saturday, May 23, 2015

Can we really measure Tiger Parents?

Drucella Anne Miranda
Section 01
Week 9

In regards to all the readings having to do with Tiger Parents, how can we possibly measure what kind of parenting is effective school wise and how their children react to the parenting styles? Honestly, someone's definition of warmth could be completely different to another person. Also, children aren't solely shaped by their parents, but their social climate in their area, school, and peers. There are just too many subjective variables that it would be very difficult to mathematically prove certain parenting styles mean these results.

As a 2nd generation in the US, but not Chinese, my father was the Tiger type. To be honest, I do well in school, but only due to the constant repetition of math tests and so forth because I literally wasn't allowed to do anything but school. My family did not give me praise, so I was very negatively affected as I grew up. Not everyones family dynamic is the same. Lots of the shame and harsh techniques explained in the articles were about name calling, but when its very emotional, verbal, and physical abuse, that is a different story. Lots of people who know my story think my parents did a great job at raising me and say, "regardless of how you got there, you are a good student now." But what they do not know is how much of a toll I bring when it comes to my well-being and school. I also noticed in the articles that success was very often measured in terms of GPA, degrees, and so forth which are very tangible measuring tools set up by a larger system.

What happens when you are knowledgeable, talented and creative in a way the formal school measuring system can't count?

No comments:

Post a Comment