Friday, May 29, 2015

"Angry Little Asian Girl"

Mai Sy Vue
Section 1
Week 10

            In Lela Lee’s short comic “Angry Little Asian Girl”, Lee wanted to show the anguish in Asian American youths who are oppressed by the American society and their own parents. I could see that the little Asian girl was extremely frustrated at her mom for constantly yelling at her to be somebody but I could also her powerlessness. She was not able to speak up to her parents and although it seems like she just did not want to get yelled at, I could tell that she knew why her mother keeps on yelling at her and did allowed it. She understands that her mother just wants the best for her and constantly nags her to do something with her life because her mother was not able to do anything. I can understand her frustration because I do feel frustrated at my parents nagging me to be better or work harder but at the same time I can understand their reasons for it. This little short comic really expresses the frustration of young Asian Americans who feel the need to meet their parents and society’s expectations. The questions is: What did Lela Lee specifically want to convey to her audience? 

No comments:

Post a Comment