Sunday, May 24, 2015

Richard Yee response to "Why I love my strict Chinese mom"

This was a really interesting article to read. As someone who is Asian, and raised by Asian parents, I can understand where the author is coming from. While I'd say that my parents weren't as strict, they valued education and extracurricular activities which they passed down to me. I think what the key difference to this discussion is how the child reacts to various parenting styles. It sounds like Sophia benefitted really well from a lot of structure in her life from her Mom. But I can see the opposite effect happening with a different child that might lead to rebellion and disobedience. So I really think the core of this discussion is that there is no one fit all parenting style. Different styles each have their own merit and it depends on the child how he/she reacts to this parenting style. That being said, generally it is bad to be too lax or too controlling with your children. When I have children in the future, I plan on raising them with a happy medium and making adjustments as needed. My question is, how have other children reacted to "tiger moms"?


No comments:

Post a Comment