Sunday, May 31, 2015

Angry Little Asian Girl

Richard Yee

I quite enjoyed reading through the Angry Little Asian comics. After watching the documentaries on Asian men and women's portrayal in the media, I am glad to see Asian characters portrayed in the full variety of emotions, not just stereotypical ones. The stereotype that this character is breaking is one in which Asian women are thought to be docile and someone who won't cause trouble. This is certainly not the case with the Angry Little Asian girl. She is sarcastic, feisty, and will definitely not take crap from anyone. This also reminds me of some of the personal experiences I've had with stereotypes. I would describe myself as a more quiet, introspective person. Because of the stereotypes that exist of Asian men, sometimes I feel the need to act the opposite way of these stereotypes, even though I may not naturally act that way. For example, I'll try extra hard to be social, or more assertive. I believe this kind of thinking is faulty, but nevertheless, I subtly alter my behavior in certain situations. My question is, how have other people have dealt with societies perceptions of more covert stereotypes and how did their behavior change?


No comments:

Post a Comment