Sunday, May 24, 2015

Strict Parents, Best Parents?

Eduard Alfonso
ASA 2 Section 2
Week 9 Response
Amy Chua’s “Why Chinese Mothers are Superior”

I felt like I could relate to the stereotype of strict mothers because back in elementary my mom decided to give me supplementary workbooks over the summer because I wasn’t doing anything. I thought it was a punishment for getting through the school year to try to get more time to myself, but my mom saw it as an opportunity to keep my mind sharp and learn a couple of new things. I’m on the side of thinking these acts are like punishment more than a reward, but a lot of it changed as I saw myself doing better in school.

Now that I had more schoolwork, I saw repetitive material in class that was easy to approach. During my elementary years, I found a lot of things to come easily to me, but I do want to say that it was because my mom helped me take the initiative to do more work.

My question is for those who get pushed over the edge when it comes to a non-Western way of “supporting” their children through school. How can they cope, and what goes on in their head when they feel like they’re being put through boot camp. Sure, we might have negative perceptions of what goes on, not knowing the inner workings of the family, but how many people appreciate what’s happened to them.

My media is from YouTuber, Anna Akana, who has a video on being overly competitive. She has this personality in many of her videos, and I wonder if her parents’ strictness attributes to that.

No comments:

Post a Comment