Sunday, May 24, 2015

Tony Pham
Week 9


In "Why Chinese Mothers are Superior", Chua breaks down the differences in parenting styles between Chinese and Western mothers. I agree, that "Chinese" parents are incredibly harder on their children and care more about performance than their children's psyches. I experienced this parenting model first hand when I was forced to receive gold honor roll and straight As throughout K-12. I completely agree with Chua in that "Chinese" parents understands "that nothing is fun until you're good at it". Growing up, I did not enjoy math, science, and sports. However, after years of practice and strict schedules, I developed skills and expertise. I excelled over my peers and learned to love what I did. It takes an incredible amount of time to develop passion for what you do and "Chinese" parents completely understand this.


A lot of people attribute the "Chinese Tiger Mom" parenting model to the struggles that the Chinese and other Asian Americans faced before and after their immigration to the United States. Would this parenting model have existed if there were no political, social, and economic struggle in the Asian countries that forced Asian Americans to immigrate to flee to America?


No comments:

Post a Comment