Sunday, May 17, 2015

A Prisoner's Problematic Perspective

Mary Grafilo
ASA 2
Section 2
Week 8
In The Life by Mike Ngo Response

This reading was so descriptive and had great word choice. It made me feel like I was actually in the cell with the main character. It reminded me of One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, with similar supporting characters and the main characters having a similar mentality.
The main character ("I", or possibly Mike Ngo) was constantly haunted by the crime that got him put in jail, conflicted between which side to take, and ashamed of his situation. The writing allows the reader to sympathize with the prisoner even though he has committed a crime.

Something I really relate to is the comparison of his life to the war. Obviously, I have never experienced something as terrible as prison. However, I resonated with the prisoner's comparison of his own life to those that are involved in the war. When I see movies, I sympathize but remember that I could not possibly imagine the pain and hardship that is involved.

He's also in a difficult situation of personal gain versus his morals versus staying close to his friends. Currently, he plays it safe in his role but there is a juxtaposition that he faces everyday. He also has an escape from this, which is running. He clears his mind until the PA calls him in again and he is pushed back down to reality.

My question for this week is: Does the prisoner regret his decision? There is evidence to say both, but I'm not sure which side has more evidence.


No comments:

Post a Comment