Sunday, May 24, 2015

I do the mixed-race dance

Kristina Nguyen
Sunday, May 24, 2015
Section 2, Week 9

In this week's reading "Doing the Mixed Race Dance" tremendously hit the spot. As a mixed Vietnamese American myself, whose mother would be placed and labeled under "Amerasian" I am definitely offended by the own class discrimination within our own culture. Reflecting back as I read these articles, I feel sad for myself that growing up, my friends parents were already trying to classify me under something. Growing up, all those questions were asked by my friends parents. Even now, the Vietnamese parents I know always ask me  those similar questions. I always wondered why they were so curious. One part that really stood out to me was the fact that if you speak fluent Viet you're seen as less prestigious. These issues are definitely present in our community and this article really made me want to change the community I am apart of.


No comments:

Post a Comment