Sunday, May 17, 2015

Incarceration of Disadvantaged Youths

Zachary Cuervo
ASA2
section 1
week 8

I feel dismayed after reading "Ngo In the Life", "Thi Man With Heart", and "Lam Love Money, Prison, Sin, Revenge".  All three stories convey a feeling of despair in the narrators, regret with both their choices and their situations.  In his story, Andrew Thi stated he would have avoided all the trouble had he another chance at redoing his life.  But, I can only think that is only half the situation.  All three stories hint at family trouble receive financial help, although they are immigrated families living near (in?) the poverty line.  I have always personally wondered why our society has an unreliable welfare system in place, and an incarceration system that imprisons individuals for desperate attempts at income to survive.  I was particularly shocked at the threat of deportation for Andrew Thi in his story.  I couldn't tell from the story, but I wonder what his citizenship status was, and exactly what kinds of immigration the laws (to deport prisoners in the US) mentioned in his story were targeting. 
The line from "Love, Money, Prison, Sin, Revenge" about the Vietnamese-American family who had a South Vietnamese flag, 'a flag that has no country', made me wonder... Where IS South Vietnam now?  Is it in the homes and societies of Vietnamese-Americans living in the US?  Is it laying underneath modern Vietnam in Asia? The helplessness really spoke to me in these stories.


No comments:

Post a Comment