Sunday, May 24, 2015

Will the Tiger Mom Become an Endangered Species?


Zachary Cuervo
sec 1
wk 9

I wasn't quite sure how to interpret the "Asian tiger mom" articles.  I was raised in what I suppose is  "western" parenting practices, but what Amy Chua described as "Chinese" parenting practices seemed rather extreme to me.  Both the lenient, supportive western parenting practices and the "Chinese" strict, reprimanding parenting practices Amy Chua described seemed destructive to me.  While I will agree that the "Chinese" parenting practices should make for higher school grades, I don't see the merit in pursuing becoming the number 1 student in (almost) all subjects, especially given the poor overall school-wide academic achievement I had seen in my hometown of Fresno.  For myself, personally, the 2.0 GPA I had in high school did not at all affect my university admissions.  However, that high school GPA was backed with much higher community college credits, I don't see why a focus on "A+ grades" in a faulty school system (at least, in the case of Fresno county) is a direct representation of a person's success. 

I had put "Chinese parenting practices" in quotations because I don't actually know if Amy Chua's model of parenting is entirely representative of all Chinese parenting, or a stereotype.  Are these parenting practices and academic focus representative of most Chinese families?  Do Chinese American parents and children share the same view of personal success, just as Amy Chua and her daughter do?


Googled around and I guess Garbage is a common insult?  Is there a culturally meaning behind this term?

No comments:

Post a Comment