Saturday, May 23, 2015

A single superior parenting style?

Ryan Ke
Section 1
Week 9

            The article “Why Chinese Mothers are Superior,” and “Why I love my strict Chinese mom,” follow Amy Chua and her family in order to illustrate the reasons behind stereotypically strict Chinese parenting. Amy describes how at the root of it all, love and care are the reasons for her strict parenting. She also highlights fundamental differences in the mindset of Chinese parents and Western parents.
            First, I agree with Amy that generally, there seem to be differences between Western parenting and Chinese parenting. What bothered me about this article was the air of arrogance in Amy’s words and her insistence that the “tiger mom” style of parenting was the absolute better parenting style. Growing up with two Chinese parents and attending a high school that was 70% Chinese and Indian American, I have both experienced and seen  when the pressure from parents becomes simply too much to bear. I have seen kids crack under the pressure. I have seen how parent-child relationships have become broken because of this kind of parenting. Does this mean that this style of parenting can never work? No, admittedly I have also seen it be successful. In “Why I love my strict Chinese mom,” one of Amy’s daughters herself talks about how thankful she is for her mother. I am truly happy that it worked out well for them. Does this mean that it will work for everyone? No, it does not. I am not sure if Amy meant for her article’s title to be taken seriously, but I am shocked that anyone could believe there is a single parenting style that is simply better for all children. I am worried for children whose parents disregard their children’s unique personality and needs and enforce this parenting style blindly.

Do you think there is a single parenting style that will work for every child?

This is a picture of Tanith Carey and her family. Carey is a "reformed tiger mom," who admits her strict parenting may have had negative affects on her daughter. Here is an article about it.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2794755/my-seven-year-old-cracked-pressure-reformed-tiger-mom-ditched-bearing-parenting-style.html


No comments:

Post a Comment