Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Angry Little Asian Girl


Herman Sok

Section 001

Week 10


               

                The comic “Angry Little Asian Girl” portrays a stereotypic relationship between an Asian tiger-mom and Americanized daughter. The comic presents the tiger mom as insensitive and strict while being somewhat humorous. The daughter is presented as an enduring Asian daughter who bottles up all her emotions in order to avoid more bickering.

                As I read the given comic selection, I tried to relate the event to my personal life with my family. I found that I did not really have such bottled up anger toward my parents. There were times where our perspectives and ideals differed but there was never actual hatred. There was a common understanding that our family members ultimately cares for one another.

                I support humor and comedy, but I believe there is a fine line to draw. After further thought, I found that the stereotypic humor used in the comic was somewhat shallow. This form of shallow humor is also found in the TV series “Fresh off the Boat”. This type of humor is shallow because it can cause some laughter but at some cost of being offensive. I have been told by some people that they dislike “Fresh off the Boat” because of the stereotypic humor used. Perhaps Asian American humor in media will change in time, but for now, should there really be criticism of the little spotlight that Asians and Asian Americans get in American media?
 
 
Should Asian stereotypic humor be funny to Asian/Asian Americans? To what extent?

No comments:

Post a Comment