Saturday, May 23, 2015

East vs West Parenting

Jessica Wong
Section 2
Week 9

Even though I grew up with two parents who were raised in the United States, their parents still instilled in them many of the familiar Asian parenting skills. Like many other Chinese children, I learned how to play the piano when I began kindergarten and was required to complete academic books throughout the summer beginning in first grade.  My parents were no were near the strict Asian parents that we always hear about, but they always pushed me to do my best. I agree with Amy Chua that Chinese parents only push their children because they know how much they can truly accomplish. After reading her article "Why Chinese Mothers are Superior," I finally recognized the difference between Eastern and Western parenting. I did not realize that Western parents are more conscious about destroying their children's self-esteem whereas Asian parents are tough because they believe in their success. I really liked reading the anecdote she had about her daughter's piano leson because it showed how Chinese parenting is quite successful.  Why then are people so against Chinese parenting?


No comments:

Post a Comment