Sunday, May 31, 2015

The Angry Little Asian Girl

Week 10
Qimin Li
Section 2

                In the short comic, “Angry Little Asian Girl,” I felt the point of drawing an angry Asian, a girl especially, is to show the inner struggles and thoughts we harbor within ourselves. Asians are always seen and represented in movies as someone who is obedient, calm and smart. This is mostly due to how we were raised. From my own personal experience, if I talked back or even questioned my parents, immediately, I would be yelled at and threatened to “make my own food.” This is very similar to the 2nd panel. I feel it’s sometimes hard to find a voice in my house, especially since it’s dismissed as being insignificant or we’re punished for speaking out of line. All in all, I find myself easily relating to the situations of angry little Asian girl because we do feel anger and frustration and all these other emotions.

My question is, how can we help break these kinds of stereotypes centered around Asians?




No comments:

Post a Comment