Sunday, May 31, 2015

Let Me Do Me

Eduard Alfonso
ASA 2 - 002
Week 10 Response
Angry Little Asian Girl

I've never understood why parents try to make their children be something they're not. From recent class discussions it seems that parents just want to push their kids to get the most out of them, as a type of encouragement. Responding to the Angry Little Asian Girl, I believe it represents how disconnected the wants of the immigrant parents and the first generation children are.

The parents want perfection and the children can't fulfill their perfect future. They want their child to be #1 all the time and to follow in their perfect image. I’m lucky enough to say my parents have done this very minimally. They want me to do the very best, but they don’t force an ideal or personality on me. I can feel for the typical “Asian daughter” who just wants to be themselves, because the feeling of doing what you want to do is very freeing.

My question is what ideals will be put on the second generation? I don’t believe the ideals will be as strict, and may be more “Americanized”, such that “You did good, child” will be a more frequent response than “A is average.”

My image is a meme I always saw during my time in highschool. I could relate to it because my parents wanted me to do my very best in school. Also, I believe it does the greatest job is poking fun at the “typical Asian
parent”


No comments:

Post a Comment