Sunday, May 31, 2015

Angry Little Girl

Kristina Nguyen
Week 10

I found this comic strip to be quite amusing. Mainly due to the fact that as an Asian myself, I have heard those same dialogues between my mother and myself before; but instead of contemplating if I should speak up, I have always been the more rebellious one who always spoke up against my mom's word. I remember as a child, relatives would always warn my mom that I'll be a stubborn, hard-headed daughter when I grew up and to be careful of me (haha). This comic, although simple, really does display what goes on in many Asian american's childhood life and usually can set a child up to feel very insecure about everything they do and constantly seeking to prove something to their parents. Look mom. Am I pretty enough now? Am I smart enough now? Am I .. this? Am I that? These conversations, and yelling from my mom never really affected me adversely but I definitely do know a couple friends who grow up feeling really sheltered mainly due to these "tiger mom" qualities. What is the fine line when it comes to parenting?


No comments:

Post a Comment