Sunday, May 24, 2015

Loving My Strict Chinese Mom

Mai Sy Vue
Section 1
Week 9

After reading the article, “Here is Why I Love my Strict Chinese Mom” by Amy Chua, I was not amazed to hear that Chua did not resent her mother for being strict and for not allowing her to enjoy having fun like other kids. I could really relate to her experience because I was raised in a household with extremely strict Hmong parents who did not allow me to have fun or even hang out with friends as well. What my parents really wanted from us, kids, at the time was to just focus on education and many times I was faced with other people thinking that my parents’ ways of thinking were wrong just like in Chua’s situation with her mother. At times I felt like it was unfair because I did want to have fun but I was also grateful and totally agreed with Chua when she said that it allowed her to become an independent woman. People judge Asian mothers as strict and mean because of the model minority myth where us, kids, are able to do so well, but what they do not see is the amount of support that our mothers give to us behind the strictness. Question: If Asian parents were not so strict, how would that change American’s perspective of Asian Americans as the model minority?

No comments:

Post a Comment