Sunday, May 24, 2015

Does "tiger parenting" exist? - Su Yeong Kim

Herman Sok
Section 001
Week 9


                The report "Does 'Tiger Parenting' Exist?", by Su Yeong Kim, examines the four profiles of Chinese parenting. The report includes a current study and details the methods used. Kim presents that supportive parenting as better than tiger parenting.

                Reading this report was quite nostalgic for me because I never really thought about my upbringing. Now that I think about it, I believe I also had tiger parents. As I read through the report, I noticed characteristics that were applied by my parents in my childhood such as shaming.

                I am grateful for the tiger parenting that I had because it allowed me to grow up into the person I am today. Whether it is proven as good or bad, I believe tiger parenting was effective because it got me to where I am now. I am proud of my perception of academia and family values.
 I fear that there is a decrease in tiger parents over time. I wish to replicate many characteristics of parenting that my parents used. How is that possible?

               

Should tiger parenting be replaced by supportive parenting?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment