Sunday, May 24, 2015

Will you be a Tiger Parent?

Mary Grafilo
ASA 2
Section 2
Week 9
Response to "Why I Love My Strict Chinese Mom"

I found Sophia Chua's response to her mother's essay very endearing. The quality of her writing and her thought processes prove to me her ability to think as an individual. She said many of the things that I have thought and said to my mother. Although I do not feel like my situation was exactly the same (my mom was probably 60% tiger), the respect in her decisions to raise me this way has always been acknowledged. This is the main reason why I cannot fully relate to the Tiger Mom idea. One, I am Filipino. Does the Tiger Mom grouping even include Filipinos? Second, from experience it seems to me that the mother is the one that deals with the daughter but for sons, both the mother and the father can be strict. I want to know if there are any relationships where the father was the strict one towards his daughter and if those upbringings would be considered successful.

Ovation Press did a survey seeing how their readers would adopt the Tiger Mom way of raising their children in 2012. I would put myself in the majority 46% who agree overall but would change certain aspects.
My question for the week is...Will this way of raising children be adopted over more cultures as schooling increases in competition?
Image and Chart of the Results from the Tiger Mother Survey

No comments:

Post a Comment