Friday, May 22, 2015

Does “Tiger Parenting” Exist?

Yun Ting (Claudia) Chao
ASA Section 2
Week 9

Does “Tiger Parenting” Exist?
Growing up in Asia, then moving to the United States, I would say my mother is “pretty Asian”. I was told which career would be good for me as I was growing up, I was told to take classes to learn this and learn that, I was given great education and private tutors. All this were things my mother did to try to ensure I have a good life in the future, yet once moving to the United States, I learned what freedom was, what having a choice was, and it was hard for me to continue follow the path she laid out for me. At the same time, it was not possible for me to immediately break away, and this led me to live a very unhappy life. Now I am a young adult, with all the possibilities ahead of me, yet I do not know what I want. I do not know what career interests me, because I was never given a choice to explore as I was growing up; I was taught to look down to and discriminate certain jobs, so I do not “end up becoming poor and useless”. I personally feel like the Asian parenting style should be left back in the United States, making a children adjust to the American lifestyle, while still having Asian societal expectations on them are pretty cruel. Lastly my question is, is there a difference in successfulness and achievement rates between Asian Americans and Asians in Asia?



No comments:

Post a Comment