Sunday, May 24, 2015

Criticizing Chinese Parenting



Wing Man Lam
Section 1
Week 9

In the article “Why Chinese Mothers Are Superior” Amy Chua explains the different parenting perspective between Western and Chinese parents. While Western parents believe in respect and self-esteem, Chinese parents believe in achievement. When children who are taught by western parents play in the parks joyfully, Chinese children are forced to sit inside the houses to play piano or violent. Not that Chinese children do not want to enjoy the sunshine outdoor but that their parents believe children have a more important thing to do: practice making perfect.  Yet the progress of practicing contain argues and unhappiness, there are always fruitful outcome waiting for them at the end.  This is what most Chinese parents believe in and consider the best, which they would like their children to receive. However, is this what children want?  
I cannot speak for other Chinese children, but I personally dislike the Chinese parenting method. I come from a Chinese family; therefore, I understand how Chinese parenting influences on children. Before criticizing, I have to thank my parents for how much time and effort they have contributed on me. Without them, I may not qualify the word “successful.” Honestly, I do enjoy the moments admiring by others; however, I sometimes wonder why I had to practice constantly. Is that really because I desire admiring? If I would have had a chance, would I have satisfied my treasure childhood for these admiring words?
Moreover, in my view, there is another shortcoming that most Chinese children share, which is lacking passion. Children often practice or study just because their parents force them to do so. Obeying parents become a habit, and as a result, children tend to be over dependent. Unfortunately, children eventually need to make their own decisions one day. When that day comes, many Chinese children do not know what to do; there is no one guiding them anymore. They have not developed critical thinking skill and been passionate about a thing. Life should be more than just achievements. I feel sorry for those who have high achievements but do not know what they are actually passion about.
Questions: Chinese parents believe in the Tiger mom’s parenting style due to their historical background. In the other hand, I would like to know why Western parents believe in Western parenting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment