Sunday, November 22, 2015

Yellow Art

Mary Moua
ASA 002 Section 1
Blog Entry #10
22 November 2015
Yellow Art
 
As I was reading Yellow Art by Phuong T. Vuong, I could feel the intensity and anger that Vuong was emitting as he wrote about the many issues that plagued the Asian American community that isn’t talked about often. I found that I could relate to a few of the references he included such as the Vietnam War or problems of poverty and oppression and because I could relate to them, the poem spoke to me on a much higher level. I love how strong and passionate Vuong felt about the silence of Asian Americans and how his poem advocates for more representation. The invisibility of Asian Americans is an issue that is ever so present and alive in the world but there are actions and things slowly being done in order to combat this issue. Asian Americans are making a voice and name for themselves whether that’d be through entertainment, media, or politics. I think there’s still a long way until Asian Americans are heard but as long the community keeps trying to create that voice like how they are doing now, it can happen.

Question:  Other than poems like this one, what other tactics or methods are being used to discuss and confront this issue of the invisibility of Asian Americans?





No comments:

Post a Comment