Sunday, November 15, 2015

Blog #9


Krystienne Delarosa
November 15, 2015
ASA 2 Blog #9
In Response to: Why Chinese Moms are Superior

Growing up, I had strict parents.  I don’t know if they would follow underneath the “Tiger Parenting” style but it was pretty close.  I think that this type of parenting has it’s both pros and cons.  For me, having my parents keep me on check definitely helped me for the future.  I find myself to be more proactive and I feel like I have more self-motivation.  I think it may be due to the fact that I wasn’t able to get away with much things growing up, so I may as well not have disobeyed my parents.  However; I felt as if I was lacking in some areas while growing up- like I wasn’t able to experience some things that “normal” kids would have done with their “Western” Parents.  I think that it’s important to have a balance with this sort of parenting style because it definitely affects the child and how they adapt later on in life.  Even though Amy Chua received a lot of backlash for this article I feel like everything she said wasn’t necessarily “wrong” and she had some validity to her points.  I know for me, the type of parenting style I grew up with helped me grow and learn as a person. 
 
How does the Tiger Parenting style affect children's self-esteem growing up?
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment