Saturday, November 21, 2015

Michael Li
ASA 2
Blog 10
This week I am writing my blog about Boyung Lee’s article discussing the lack of communication about sexual topics in Asian American cultures. I don’t feel like the awkwardness or hesitation to talk about sex is an Asian American issue but an issue in Asian culture. My parents immigrated to the U.S. and they definitely have their cultural beliefs and foundations set by the society they were surrounded by in China. My mom told me a story of how her and my dad met, and a very small gesture suddenly meant they were dating. My parents experienced a completely different dating culture than I have, in the sense that they didn’t really date around. They told me it was common for the first person someone dated to become significant husband/wife. Unlike the dating scene in the U.S. were it is common to date multiple people before settling down. To add to this my parents aren’t very affectionate; I can’t confidently say I’ve seen them kiss in front of me. I think all of this and much more aspects of the dating scene in Asia create the lack of discussion in sexuality that is common in a lot of Asian American communities.

Question: What are different influencing factors not found in Asian culture but found in other cultures were sex is heavily discussed/prevalent?

No comments:

Post a Comment