Sunday, November 15, 2015

Blog 9-A01-Pahnia Vang

In the reading of Doing the Mixed-Race Dance, Kieu Linh Caroline Valverde focuses on aspects of how social space within a mixed race typology exists within Vietnamese American community to understanding and reasoning how Vietnamese multiracial negotiate and create a space for themselves. Throughout the reading, questions such as what are you, were you born in Viet Nam or outside of Viet Nam, are you father or your mother Vietnamese, and so forth questions the core context of the individual into what Caroline states as the “mixed race dance.” I think that this is not just seen within one singular group but within many domains. For myself personally, being of Hmong ethnicity, I get mixed into many major ethnicities that are well dominated within society. Because not much knows who the Hmong are or even what are the Hmong, my own race is at most always being question. I conflict with myself at the times encountered if I just want to agree with what they want me to be or if I want to explain myself to them after many numerous times. I think that the Mixed Race Dance will continue to be an ongoing conversation among the one conflicted and the ones conflicting.


Question: What are your thoughts of the Mixed-Race Dance? Have you been a victim of it or the opposite? 

No comments:

Post a Comment