Sunday, November 15, 2015

Week 9 Blog

Lanchi Nguyen
11/15/15
Section A01

After reading the article "Why Chinese mothers are superior" by Amy Chua, I instantly can relate to what the author is talking about because I am raised in an Asian family. There is an unwritten rule in my family that dictates how my brother and I should behave at home and at school. Even though my mother is not as strict as the article describes Chinese mothers to be, she still expects my brother and me to excel at everything in life. We can't blame the Asian mothers for pressuring their kids and having unattainable expectations because we understand where they are coming from. Of course, every mother would want their children to succeed in life and not be regarded as "trash" in the society, that is why pushing them to try their best is not viewed as a "bad thing" in Asian mothers' perspective. Though every culture has different parenting skills, at the end of the day all mothers want the best for their kids even if it costs them the title "tiger moms." My question is if you were not raised by a Chinese mother then would you be successful?


No comments:

Post a Comment