Sunday, November 22, 2015

Blog 10 by Hannah Ng (Section A02)

As I read “Teaching Justice and Living Peace: Body, Sexuality, and Religious Education in Asian-American Communities," the article resonated with me in that I am a first generation Asian-American that grew up under Chinese immigrant parents. Knowing many others that are in the same situation, I agree that most Asian households generally do not openly discuss the body, sexuality, and religion because they are used to and comfortable with traditional values. The relatively conservative beliefs may clash with the constant and progressive change that takes place in the Land of the Free, where citizens have a voice and have an input on laws/politics. Since Asian cultures have had hundreds-thousands of years of history and passed down traditions, new Asian-Americans may not be used to discussing change and differences. It is something that I've observed my entire life, and have gotten used to. However, would it be beneficial to discuss these concepts with Asian American families?


No comments:

Post a Comment