Saturday, November 21, 2015

Asians and Homophobia

Seung Joon Lee
Week 10 (blog 10)
11/21/15

In her article "Teaching Justice and Living Peace: Body, Sexuality, and Religious Education in Asian-American Communities1" Boyung Lee points that Asians don't talk about sexuality as often as western ethnic groups, who are generally more open to such subjects. As a result, homosexuality is understood as disgrace to an Asian family, and many Asian families avoid discussing about homosexuality. As Asian as my family can get, sexuality is a common topic in our family discussion. My mom is the only one with a conservative stance on homosexuality. She believes that it is a form of mental disorder and that it can be cured. On the other side, my dad and brother argue that it is natural to be gay and that a person should not be identified by his or her sexuality. However, I sometimes wonder if they'd still happily accept it if I told them that I am gay (disclaimer: I am not gay); he is still Asian and has Asian mindsets. I think the world still needs time in becoming more accepting of homosexuality. Especially in the world of Asians where time goes more slowly, one day people will stop seeing homosexuality as a form of mental disability and learn to accept it.

Question: What can young Asian Americans do to make their families be more open to talking about sexuality?

No comments:

Post a Comment