Sunday, November 15, 2015

Tiger Parenting

Mary Moua
ASA 002 Section 01
Blog Entry #9
15 November 2015

Tiger Parenting
 
In Does “Tiger Parenting” Exist? Parenting Profiles of Chinese Americans and Adolescent Developmental Outcomes, it was interesting reading about the different types of parenting styles and dimensions. In particular to the “tiger parent” or “tiger mom” stereotype, I never knew that the stereotype existed in the first place until I came to college and that was when I realized that my parents and family exhibited this kind of behavior to my siblings and I as we were growing up. We were always pressured to do well in school and to not fail and they would exert control and power over to us displaying an authoritarian parenting style but as we got older and started doing better in school, my parents began to be permissive because we were meeting their expectations. It’s unfortunate that tiger parenting exists even though it’s been concluded that it’s not the most common form of parenting because I believe that all parents should be permissive in order for children to be happier and not endure symptoms of depression and low self-esteem.
 
Question: Is there anything that can be done to reduce tiger parenting or stop it from existing?
 
 
 
     



No comments:

Post a Comment