Sunday, November 22, 2015

Melissa Mae De Guzman - Week 11

Melissa Mae De Guzman
ASA 2 – Section 2

Week 11 Blog

            Sexuality has always been a topic that I have been afraid to talk about with my family. In my family, there is an unspoken rule that we need to be heterosexual. My family often sees homosexuals as unjust, and to me, it’s sad for me to hear their judgment when they do not fully know the person. This week I read about, “Teaching Justice and Living Peace: Body, Sexuality, and Religious Education in Asian-American Communities.” I felt this article really resonated with me because sexuality is not often expressed within my family. In my Asian American culture, people tend to be very conservative. Change is a difficult thing for my family. It is hard to integrate differing sexualities with our culture knowing how our culture is structured. I have a differing view from my family because I was open minded to the idea, and I hope through time that my family will be able to see past their sexuality and remember that they are still a person.


Question: How would one approach a conservative family about their sexuality?

No comments:

Post a Comment