Monday, November 16, 2015

Blog 9 by Hannah Ng (Section A02)

As I read Sophia Chua-Rubenfeld's “Why Chinese Moms are Superior," I thought about how difficult parenting is and whether there is the "perfect" way to run a family. Since both our genetics and environment shape us as people, there are lots of variables that we must take into consideration and I do not think there is ONE way that will work for each and every family. I reflected on my own parents and how they decided to raise my brother and me. My mother was very strict yet also loving compared to my father, who was more lenient and "chill." My mom wanted me to start planning early so that I can work towards a career that is highly reputable and stable while my dad believed in letting children dream and experiencing failure for success. Because I am more independent and outgoing, I did not like my "tiger mom's" attitude towards my schoolwork and extracurricular activities (even though I knew it was "for my own good"). However, my brother is more shy and is easily distracted, so the attention and nurture that my mother provided helped him in staying on track. I have had friends and family tell me that my mother was too strict in her parenting, and that she was too lenient towards my brother and me. I realized then that different individuals will use different methods in teaching their children. Therefore, is there a "best" way to raise kids and run a family?


No comments:

Post a Comment