Sunday, November 22, 2015

About Teaching Justice and Living Peace: Body, Sexuality, and Religious Education in Asian-American Communities

Chan, Yue Kar
ASA 2 Section A02
Blog #10

Like many of the other papers I've read for this class, "Teaching Justice and Living Peace: Body, Sexuality, and Religious Education in Asian-American Communities," by Boyung Lee, I've been able to read about more experiences of other Asian Americans that mirror mine. When Lee brought up the fact that sexuality in Asian cultures adopts the null curriculum method, I started to relate those words to the experiences of me myself as well as my Asian American friends. My parents never gave me "the talk" or mentioned "the birds and the bees." I remember the day that I had gotten my first period. Prior to this mom did not teach me about periods or mention them at all. I found out about them friends at school who experienced it before everyone else. While I understand that openness about sexual topics isn't something regularly practiced among Asian immigrants, I also know that all this hypersexualization and open-mindedness about homosexuality was something that happened within the last 20 years. Knowledge about these things are constantly spreading farther and farther especially because of the internet so I don't see this null curriculum to be an issue.

Question: As sexual knowledge is spread more online and in the media, do Asian-American parents begin to feel more comfortable talking about these subjects with their children?


No comments:

Post a Comment