Sunday, November 15, 2015

Tiger Mom

Kevin Matsui
Wk 9 Blog
11-15-15


          I found Amy Chua’s article, “Why Chinese Mothers are Superior,” very relatable. It is very stereotypical for Asian parents to be portrayed as very strict, expecting nothing less than perfection from their children while western parents are portrayed easy going, praising their children for mediocre accomplishment. I can very much relate since my mom, while not Chinese, is very similar to the tiger mom in the article.  My mom thought ‘A’ stood for average, forced me to play piano as a child, and would be very strict about me hanging out with friends and having sleepovers growing up. While at the time I thought she only had the worst intent for me and wanted only for me to be miserable, I can now see the reward of her strict tiger mom parenting. Although Asian parents have a bad rep for being too overprotective and unloving, I agree with the article’s point that Asian parents are caring of their children. My mom’s desire for greatness and unrelenting tiger mom parenting showed me how badly she wanted to see me succeed and mature as a grown. If that’s not love, I don’t know what is. How would the lack of tiger moms affect the model minority stereotype?


No comments:

Post a Comment