Sunday, November 15, 2015

“Why I love my strict Chinese mom”

Nicole Uychiat
Blog 9
ASA 2 - Section A03
November 15, 2015

            The article “Why I love my strict Chinese mom” was very interesting to me because it relates to the stereotypes of Asian American children with strict parents. This stereotype is, for the most part, true, with me and many of my friends whom I’ve attended school with for many years. I can resonate with this article in a sense that this “tough love” relationship between the mother and daughter is not necessarily a bad thing and it does, indeed, help the daughter grow. The mother, although strict, has good intention in what she wants of the daughter. She is not just strict to be a mean person, but strict because she expects a lot from her daughter in a sense that she knows what her daughter is fully capable of. My mother is also strict, but it is only because she loves me and wants the best for me, as every mother does for her child. From the outside looking in, many people may be intimidated from the strictness of my Asian parents, but they also don’t realize that the relationship isn’t completely strict. My parents also like to have fun and joke around with me. It’s just how our family works.


How different would I be today if my parents were not as strict with me when I was younger?




No comments:

Post a Comment