Sunday, November 22, 2015

TEACHING JUSTICE AND LIVING PEACE: BODY, SEXUALITY, AND RELIGIOUS EDUCATION IN ASIAN-AMERICAN COMMUNITIES

Chelbert Dai
Blog 10
Section 2
11/22/15

I found the article discussing homosexuality within Asian american communities to be interesting, particularly its point that Asian American families tend to ostracize or ignore family members who come out as gay. In traditional Asian American families, I can understand how this can happen especially if the parents are immigrants. However, from my own perspective as a first generation Asian American, I don't see myself dealing with homosexuality in the same way. I have found that among people of my generation, homosexuality does not seem to be as much of a taboo as it is for members of my parent's generation. This can be seen on the UC Davis campus where I often see people at the Memorial Union or Shields Library asking students if they can "take a minute for gay rights". Now this organization could very well be a scam whose sole purpose is to get money, but the fact that they think college students would be willing to stop and spend some of their limited time talking about gay rights demonstrates just how progressive the younger generations are.

No comments:

Post a Comment