Saturday, November 21, 2015

Asian Americans and Sexuality

Shannon Trinh
ASA 2 - Section 1
Blog #10

Response to: Boyung Lee

It was surprising to read this piece by Boyung Lee because this taboo topic of Asian Americans and sexuality was never touched throughout my experiences. Lee makes some great points, acknowledging and explaining why Asian American communities are so fearful of anything beyond societal norms. It was also shocking because I realized that avoiding the topic of sexuality was so applicable to my life. When it came to acceptance of diverse sexuality, I grew up in an environment where my family had a fear that those with minority sexualities would be treated unfairly by society. It was not that they looked down upon gays or lesbians, it was that they worried for how their lives would turn out if they were public about it.

I also found it interesting how people view expressing your sexuality as over-westernizing your culture. This reading pointed out the harsh reality that individuals that are insecure about their sexuality have to separate it from their identity. This is why I agree with Lee’s propositions. After all, how can we move forward with justice and peace if we cannot accept each other first?


Question: Is it just in Asian American communities that sexuality is taboo?


No comments:

Post a Comment