Monday, November 16, 2015

Blog 9: Chinese Mothers

Angela Tran
ASA 2 - Section 3
15 November 2015

In Amy Chua's article, she explains the main differences in childhood upbringing between Chinese and Western mothers. Western mothers respect individuality, and are scared to hurt their children's self-esteem, whereas Chinese mothers promote success and preparation for the future, never giving up in their children's capabilities. I found this article interesting as I could relate it to my own childhood. I was never allowed to get anything less than an A. When I'd fight back and try to be logistical, I would never win. School was everything, and when I failed, my mother made sure I went back to the desk until I succeeded again. Although I resented my mother at times, yelled and fought back, and most definitely disliked the rules and boundaries I had to adhere too, now that I'm older, I am thankful that my mother pushed me to be who I am today, and to have the knowledge of what my full capabilities are if I try hard. Do all children of Chinese mothers appreciate and understand their upbringing once they are older? I wonder if there's any similarities of upbringing between successful children of Western mothers and children of Chinese mothers.

No comments:

Post a Comment