Sunday, November 15, 2015

Melissa Mae De Guzman - Week 9

Melissa Mae De Guzman
ASA 02 - Section 2

Week 9 Blog

     Throughout my life, I have always wondered why my parents have always pushed me past my limits, made me feel that I could always do something more, and made my best seem that it was never good enough. Now that I am an adult, I look at myself and can’t believe the person I have become. This week’s article, “Why I Love My Strict Chinese Mom” really resonated with me on how I feel about my life now. Two Chinese daughters heard about the criticism regarding their mother’s strict parenting. In response to the community, they wrote a letter explaining their gratitude. I am extremely grateful that my parents had much higher expectations for myself because it has made me successful in life. I can understand why people categorize Asians under the Model Minority Myth Our lifestyle is strict, but it has helped many of Asians to achieve the American Dream.

Question: If our parents treated us differently growing up, would our outcome be the same?

No comments:

Post a Comment