Saturday, November 21, 2015

Analysis of Boyung Lee's Article

Khanh Le
Week 10
November 20, 2015

     "Teaching Justice and Living Peace: Body, Sexuality, and Religious Education in Asian-American Communities," by Boyung Lee, discusses the lack of literature and discussion of sexuality in Asian American communities, and how this can be changed. This lack of discussion builds up this negative stigma about sexuality and creates homophobia among many Asian American communities. It is unfortunate to see how this closed-mindedness can negatively affect those who are seen as "oddities" in their community simply because they are more vocal about their sexuality. Lee further explained why such views exist, and they are rooted in Confucian views of patriarchy. Women have always been seen as inferior to men, and they should not be able to view sex as a source of pleasure, but rather as a source of pro-creation. As an Asian American woman who also grew up in a conservative family who dislikes talking about sex since it is seen as taboo, I struggled with my identity because I was a girl. I was supposed to wait until marriage in order to have sex, while my brother was not told the same. Growing up in a patriarchal family made me feel like I could not grow into who I wanted to be.

Question: What are ways to demolish this patriarchal view and encourage more women to stand up for equality?


No comments:

Post a Comment