Sunday, November 22, 2015

Sexuality as a Taboo

Sherluna Vien
ASA2
11/22/15
Blog #10

In Teaching Justice and Living Peace: Body, Sexuality, and Religious Education in Asian-American Communities, Boyung Lee talks about how sexuality and sexual identity in the Asian-American community is never talked about. As stated in the reading, sexuality is a taboo subject that shouldn’t be talked about in public. Being Sino-Vietnamese, I do see some Confucian influences on my family too where it is normal to be in a heterosexual relationship and anything other than that is considered inappropriate. Most of my Asian friends who identify as LGBTQIA do not disclose it to their family. Coming from a conservative family, I could see backlash in coming out and could see how Asian families would be ashamed and in denial. My friend, who identies as genderqueer, is publicly open about his sexuality on Facebook but still has not come out to his family. Upon reading his Facebook, someone ratted him out to his family. I am sure that my friend feels unsafe to come back to Sacramento after knowing this. Although he has loving parents, his parents most likely will try to silence him and say it is just a phase that he is going through. I believe this denial in the Asian-American community is very hurtful. Because of language barriers, it also contributes to a lack of understanding from each other.

Question: do you think the Asian-American community will be more open to discussion about sexuality in the future? How is our generation on this topic?


No comments:

Post a Comment