Sunday, November 15, 2015

Chinese parents

Henderson Lu
11/15/15
Week 9
Why Chinese Mothers are Superior

I grew up in a Chinese Vietnamese family with Chinese virtues and Vietnamese cultures. Success in school was success in life; that was the motto my mom would tell me all the time. She did her best to help me through school by making me do math problems, read books and making sure I could spell correctly. But after the 4th grade, she couldn't help me as much because the math problems became complex and words became longer. My mom didn't have the education in Vietnam to be able to help me through school. As I became more academically independent from my mom hovering over me, one thing stayed constant, and it was the Chinese virtues. Respect your elders and filial piety were taught and drilled into my soul along with other things we needed to learn. Looking back now, I thank my mom for everything that she has done for me and I'm glad that I was raised the way I was.
Q: When cultures clash, how can we be more understanding of how other cultures work instead of trying to butt in and tell them what is right or wrong?

No comments:

Post a Comment