Sunday, November 15, 2015

Why Chinese Mothers Are Superior and Why I love my strict Chinese mom

Lisa Yee
ASA 002
Professor Valverde
Blog #9

            In Amy Chua’s “Why Chinese Mothers Are Superior,” a mother expressed her own perspective on parenting styles when she enforced tiger parenting onto her children. To read about the different parenting styles between Chinese and Western parents was very interesting. It’s difficult to decide which parenting style is better between Western parents’ idea of respecting their children’s individuality versus Chinese parents’ idea of preparing their children for the future. Growing up in an Asian household, I spent my own childhood dealing with tiger parenting. At that young age, it caused me severe stress because I was pressured to obtain good grades and excel in every activity I participated in. However, when I became older, I learned to appreciate the harsh, yet highly effective teaching styles my parents used. With Sophia Chua-Rubenfeld’s “Why I love my strict Chinese mom,” there definitely have been benefits from tiger parenting. I was able to become a hard working student when it came to my schoolwork, learn the importance behind discipline at an early age, and understand the value behind earning one’s goal even with vigorous obstacles in the way.     

Questions: Between the Western’s or Chinese’s idea of parenting, which do you think is better for children academically and socially?




            

No comments:

Post a Comment