Sunday, October 25, 2015

The Patriot Act: Two Birds, One Stone - Andrew Nguyen Week 6

Andrew Nguyen
ASA 002 A03
Week 6
           
            What I thought while I read the ASNE memo on the Patriot Act II was: “our government is trying to oppress us.” I believe the Patriot Act II is just an excuse the government made up to obtain more power over its people. As a child in first grade, I did not care much for the Patriot Act then. Five years later, after watching a dramatization on the 9/11 terrorist attacks, I felt that the Patriot Act was a necessary evil. Little did I know, that was exactly what the government wanted me to think. The ASNE memo on the Patriot Act II helped me realize that the Patriot Act is simply a way to gather public support while amplifying the power of the government to accuse people of terrorism. What could be reasons for the government wanting to spy on its people? Perhaps the main reason is for the government to look for terrorists before they act, but has the Patriot Act II actually been effective in finding terrorists? It seems to me that the Patriot Act II more instills fear, denial, and paranoia than it offers protection.

No comments:

Post a Comment