Thursday, October 29, 2015

Christy Chung 
29 October 2015 
Section 3
Week 7 Blog 

In “Korean American Youth and Transnational Flows of Culture across the Pacific,” Jun-Sun Park discusses how young Korean Americans consume pop culture and how it relates to their identity as well as the market and global culture. Park writes about how transnational cultural flows have the power to create relationships. She argues that consumption of popular culture can “mediate…generational relationships.” For example, watching Korean TV dramas is a common pastime for many first generation Korean Americans over time, it has become a family event, bringing families closer together. She writes about Sandy, a second generation Korean college student whose relationship with her mother strengthened through watching dramas together. Her story reminded me much of my own family and how I spent a good amount of my childhood watching Chinese dramas with my parents. Given that I don’t speak Mandarin or Cantonese, my parents had to explain what was going on to me and through this, I was able to develop a better understanding of my own culture as well as a better relationship with my parents.

My question is: Besides Asian American youth, what other factors contribute to building a trans-Pacific cultural bridge between America and Asia? 

Below is a link to female K-pop band SNSD that performed on the David Letterman show, it is an example of how Korean popular culture has transcended geographical barriers:


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exa5-P0_uKo

No comments:

Post a Comment