Saturday, October 31, 2015

About Korean American Youth and Transnational Flows od Popular Culture across the Pacfic

Chan, Yue Kar
ASA 2 Section A02
Blog #7

"Korean American Youth and Transnational Flows of Popular Culture across the Pacific" by Jung-Sun Park was a paper that really hit home for me. I can definitely related to Brian, who was quoted in the article and expressed his feelings of marginality through the simple words "I don't feel fully American." I immigrated to the U.S. from Hong Kong at the age of four. I've never seriously called or considered myself as an American. The typical American as a white male. I am neither white nor male. While I can be considered  Chinese American, I don't even like calling myself that. In fact, I prefer when people call me Chinese. While I can't pinpoint why it is exactly that being called an Asian American or anything of the like makes me uncomfortable, I know for a fact that it relates to how I don't feel like a real American. Being called Asian American is already a step away from being just plain old American. It seems like being  Asian keeps you from being a true American. When people refer the Asian cultural centers within America, they talk about it as if its not a true part of America but a slice of some other country that plopped itself on to American soil. It is usually just seen as some exotic tourist zone. I feel as if I'm a tourist living in America. I am living here, but I'm not supposed to feel like I belong here.

Question: Why is it that Asian Americans normally don't refer to themselves as Asian Americans when asked for their ethnicity?


No comments:

Post a Comment