Sunday, October 25, 2015

Our connection to the Sikh

Jessica Au
ASA 2 Section 1
Week 6 blog
10/25/2015


It was very moving reading the "War on Terrorism" by Puar and Rai and learning about the symbolism of their turban. I remember when I was in elementary school, I didn’t know what they were for, never really looked into it and thought it was just part of their culture. I never said any racial slurs or had anything against them, but I knew many that did. They would tell me how weird it was to have a piece of cloth around their head and other demeaning statements. I realized from this reading, it is also part of our culture. It is very true that the turban is a reminder of the racial and sexual constructions for the U.S and other Asian American communities as well.  We shouldn’t be separating the symbolism of the turban in the United States because it means just as much to us as it means to them.




No comments:

Post a Comment