Thursday, May 22, 2014

Week 9

Sean Guntvedt
A02


            The “Tiger Mom,” a term defined as the strict rearing of children by an intimidating matriarch, is a notion that is perhaps more misunderstood than respected in the thoughts of many Asian Americans. This concept of the “Tiger Mom” being misconstrued can be readily observed in the harsh criticism that Amy Chua received in her novel Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother— criticisms that constitute Chua ruling over her children like a tyrant and promoting tunnel vision and closed mindedness. Nevertheless, what I found interesting is how Chua’s daughter Sophia actually wholeheartedly defends her mother’s convictions by instead articulating that the sternness of her upbringing actually led her to success. Though some may view Amy throwing away her daughter’s birthday card as spiteful, Sophia defends her mother by stating that this act taught her that she should always do her best in everything and that slipshod work should not be tolerated. Additionally, Sophia is eternally grateful to her mother in the regard that she was always challenged to go out of her comfort zone—a quality that would help in the years beyond her childhood in work, school, internships and so on.
            Being raised with my mom being a Chinese immigrant and my father being a second generation American, I certainly had a unique upbringing. My mom had some “tiger” like qualities. I was coerced into attending Chinese school, piano lessons, and art school. Like most children whose grew up under “Tiger Moms,” I was not particularly grateful to the opportunities I was given to partake in. However, unlike Sophia, I still believe being forced to do these activities that my mother thought was favorable was not beneficial in the long run. I would have much rather pursued the hobbies I wanted to do as I would probably excel in them due to my enjoyment of them.

Question: If you were raised in a household with a "Tiger Mom," do you feel grateful for the impact that she had on your life? Why or why not? 


No comments:

Post a Comment