Monday, May 26, 2014

In response Why I Love my Chinese Tiger Mom

ASA2
Sherry Yuan
Section 1
Week 9

This article really intrigued me. I can relate very intimately to Amy's specific ideas about her culture, and more specifically about her mother. My mother is even stricter than hers. In her story she mentioned that she can have freedom as long as she finishes her tasks. This sounds more like capitalism and an incentive based system than the system I grew up in. The author thinks that her mom is strict because she creates rules, but my situation was actually strict. To me, it sounds like this article is a bit exaggerated. The title is misleading. The definition of true strictness is when your parents use the idea that "grown ups are more experienced and can make better decisions than their children". Amy should have title her article as Why I love my Mother. This is because what Amy explains is what a mom should be. The idea of strictness is inherent in the title of being a mom. If you title your mom as being more strict than what a her name already implies then there must be more severe systems in place.

Q: How could a tiger mom be more efficient?

No comments:

Post a Comment