Saturday, May 24, 2014

Which parenting style is the best?


Esther Ho
Section A02
Reading Reflection #9
In Response to "Why I love my strict Chinese mom" 

Types of Parenting


In the article, “Why I love my strict Chinese mom,” it explores the child’s perspective of “tiger mom” parenting. The perspective of the child, who is now 18 years old, contradicts the claims made by those outside of the family, who argue that the mother was being harsh and irrational. She discusses how at times, she didn’t enjoy having to abide by strict rules and the fact that she was unable to live a life like others, but overall, this lifestyle is what shaped who she is today. Her mother has made her into an independent woman that makes her own choices and decisions about what she wants to be. She is appreciative for her strict mother, who pushed her to her full potential, allowing her to live her life to the fullest of her ability.

It was really interesting to read this article because even though my mother wasn’t a “tiger mom,” she was still able to instill the same mindset and sense of development within me. I immigrated to America with my mother at a young age and she always raised me with the mindset that if I put my best effort in, then that’s all she could ask for. My mother had always maintained this mindset, with the effort of instilling a sense of “what you put in is what you get out” within me. Around middle school, this principle began to push me towards being the best of what I could be. I knew what was expected of me and I pursued it with all my effort to attain the result I wanted. I’m not sure why my mother’s lack of expectations drove me to pursue the best within me; it might be that I did not want to bring unnecessary burden onto my mother. Her parenting has made me into an independent person that will do things without someone having to guide and force me to do so. I am thankful towards my mother for instilling this principle within me.

This brings me to conclude that each form of parenting is perceived differently by the public and by the direct party involved. The idea is that there is no “right” way of parenting for “all” families.

What type of parenting were you raised with? How has it shaped who you are today?

No comments:

Post a Comment